Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Unboxing my Up! Printer

If you've purchased an Up!, you've probably spoken with Shirley - PP3DP sales contact. Last week, I received this email from Shirley.

Sorry to tell you that a part of the black printer you ordered is out of stock now, I wonder if you would like to change a red one. If it’s ok for you, the red printer can be shipped tomorrow. If not, we will arrange black printers to be shipped this Friday. Please let me know your decision. Sorry for the trouble.
 I quickly responded with a very short message:

A Red printer is okay. I confirm this change.

When you start producing a new product, this sort of problem happens. I appreciate the offer for a different colored printer rather than just getting a "we're delayed" message. A+ for service so far. Without further delay, my naked Up!


Read more  about the goodies I received after the jump


Inside was a well packed package of printer and accessories. Everything was packed tight between layers of EPE foam.



 Lots of goodies afoot! Here's the actual printer in it's taped together foam cladding:
 Extruder

The printer came with it's axes well supported.

Build material is vacuum sealed and foil wrapped. I later found that inside the bag is a little bag of dessicant.

My build platform... Pictures of other people's units show a clean platform with a fresh coat of paint. It looks like that step was overlooked for me. Each printer is tested for 72 hours presumably building parts for the next printers.

Here's the power supply, still wrapped in a poly bag. 20V, 11A - LiteOn brand.


Included in the package
  • 1 Set Black Leather Work Gloves
  • 1 Chisel Set
  • 1 Flat Spatula
  • 1 Tweezers
  • 2 Spools of Build Material
  • 1 Jar of Bed Treatment
  • 1 Paint Brush
  • 1 Print Head Assembly
  • 1 Spool Holder (printed part)
  • 1 Filament Feeder Assembly (printed parts, pcba, etc.)
  • 1 Filament feed tube
  • 1 Purple USB Cable
  • 1 Build Platform
  • 3 Hex Keys
  • 1 Nozzle tool (for removing the nozzle)
  • ? Extra Hardware (cap screws, washers, etc.) 
  • 1 Printer, expertly packed
Blogger can't figure out the correct orientation (it's rotating when it shouldn't).

Assembly is easy. Bolt on the print nozzle, spool holder and filament feeder (3 screws total). Connect ribbon cable to print head. The software installed very easily and without clutter. The first job is the calibration print - you measure a few dimensions and enter it in the software


This is so easy, my mother could do it!

Next, I print a few spare parts and then we're off to the races!

No comments:

Post a Comment